And just like that, it’s week 2 of the One Room Challenge!! Be sure to hop back and check out our week one post. I’m also hoping one of these days to get some non ORC posts up about life and Eleanor and all the things, so stay tuned for that as well.
But for now…. I wanted to share some of our inspiration for our kitchen revamp with you all!! Right now our kitchen is comprised of a few main components:
- The hot pink abstract lines on the main wall
- The ‘coffee cart’ as we call it, which holds the espresso machine, the keurig machine and really all the things that don’t live inside cabinets; and…
- The maple-ish cabinets themselves.
That said, I’d like to see all of those main features gone in the facelift of our space. In addition to wanting these aspects gone, there are several things I would like to accomplish in this process:
- A more cohesive space.
- A place where we can dine as a family
- A designated place to brew caffeinated beverages; and
- A space that feels like ‘us’ while also being appealing to future buyers… after all, when you are in a 1BR condo with a baby, the need to sell is always on your radar.
So here’s the plan:
We will stick with a black, white and grey color scheme; remove the coffee cart which looks cluttered (I don’t mind the open shelving of it, but not all the shelves are stationary and it makes me so nervous with a baby that is starting to pull-up … my nightmare is seeing the thing crashing down with all the jars on it shattering as well… eeeek!!); create an ‘eat-in’ table area for us to actually eat as a family at a dining table (as opposed to on the couch); and paint the whole room, cabinets and all to create less visual chaos in the space.
Our color scheme is black, white. grey and wood, and as you can see in the first picture, which really shows the overall look and feel of what we want to do, we are going to go dark on the cabinets and light everywhere else. We can’t agree on the stain for the table yet, so we will see what happens there, but what do you think?? Natural and light or Dark and rich?? Do you like the direction we are heading with the room as a whole??
If you are just stopping by wondering what we are up to, here is the week one post to catch you up. And here is the list of things we are planning to tackle:
- Paint the walls
- Paint the cabinets
- Paint the molding and details
- Declutter and organize overall
- Add a main wall shelf
- (Finally) build my custom table (that I designed almost 2 years ago…)
- Add some drawer storage (We don’t have a single drawer in our kitchen. Not one.)
- Possibly swap out the cabinet hardware
- Find seating
- Make and Install Valance
This week we also finalized plans and bought materials for the new table. Hoping to start painting the cabinets next week! Stay tuned next week for more on that!!
Also, if you aren’t following us on social media yet, be sure to hop over to Facebook and Instagram to keep up with DBK regularly, and follow along with our IG stories to see between-post progress on the kitchen!!