Welcome back to week 4 of our One Room Challenge! We are full nesting mode over at casa DBK and I’m feeling so good about the progress we have made!
The One Room Challenge is a 6 week blogger design challenge, where you pick a space and complete it from top to bottom (or at least get it a lot closer to completion) in 6 weeks! It’s hosted by the lovely Linda at Calling it Home, and there is always incredible inspiration to be found from her 20 host bloggers and countless guest participants. It really is fun to follow along even if you aren’t participating so be sure to hop over to her blog and see what everyone is up to this week!
So, what have we been up to this week? We’ve been working on painting, floors and the closet, oh my! (In case you didn’t get that from the title of today’s post.) But seriously what a difference a fresh coat of paint and resurfacing the floors will make. The paint looked good when it was done, but then when we came home after the floors were finished… Wow! It’s a whole new room!
The new color is Benjamin Moore Metro Gray. It’s not too light, not too dark and looks beautiful in every level of light we get in our bedroom. Though the current overhead fixture does feel a little bit yellow-orange for the room/color, that will be changed in the coming week, so no worries there! When I put on the first coat of paint, the color felt a little purple in the undertones, but once it dried, I loved it. It is a good warm gray without going to far beige/brown.
Sunday we went out to PA to visit my parents in their new home and on their new Bed & Breakfast adventure. P and I are both so happy that they are just a drive away now (albeit a 2.5 hour drive, but it’s not unmanageable by any means), and we are so proud of them that they followed their hearts and are living their dream! But anyway, what does that have to do with our ORC, well two things really.
- Monday while we weren’t home, the flooring guys came and refinished the bedroom floors. Seriously, I love coming home to the floors being done, it was exciting when it was the living room, but now that it is the bedroom, all the wood flooring in our condo matches, and feels so light and fresh! I couldn’t be happier with the outcome. (Original floors pictured on the left below, refinished on the right, just in case you can’t see the new beauties so well in the picture.)
- And then the cherry on top? My parents’ new place is right near the Rockvale Outlets in Lancaster, where they just happen to have a West Elm (only one of my favorite stores ever). Since our dresser piece was backordered, we’ve been looking at alternate options for dressers for the room and have been striking out. Fortunately the outlet had a piece that we both loved and the size was perfect! We pounced and now my parents have our new dresser at their home and will be bringing it over to us probably around the end of next week–just in time for us to get it into position and set up for the reveal!
So, the final thing that I worked on this week was getting everything re-organized and back into the closet. I think it looks really good right now–who knows how long it will stay so neatly organized and folded, but it looks good and feels great for now! We still haven’t gone through and swapped out our summer/winter wardrobe yet, so that needs to happen but that’s not a ORC related task, it just needs to happen.
You can see the space in the middle now, where Baby will be, and the lowest shelves in that section I’m planning to remove to open up that section a little more. (We just have to wait for the dresser to come so I have a spot to shift those clothes to.)
This week I also bought a few fun pieces of art and some accessories for the final phases of the project, so I’m feeling so so good about the room, our plans for it and how it will all come together in the next 2 weeks! Here’s an updated look at our list:
- Swap the light fixture for a ceiling fan (as much as I don’t love them they are practical and we will want the circulation it will offer.
Refinish the floors (so they will flow with the living room). Leave the moldings and radiator the hell alone!!
- Hem the closet curtains (I like the softness of the closet opening/closing with curtains, especially with baby, but they need to be hemmed).
- Replace the blinds layer of the window treatments.
- Steam clean the area rug.
Move the desk and workspace out.
- Move the baby furniture in.
- Add floor length mirror.
This coming week we will be working on the lighting, cleaning the area rug, the situation with the blinds and hemming the closet curtains.
To see the plans and progress we’ve made so far on this project, you can look back at our One Room Challenge here: week 1, week 2 and week 3. And you can check out our Living Room ORC from the spring here! Happy Thursday friends-here’s to a productive weekend!