We made it back from our #PickensinSEAsia adventure earlier this week and we have slowly but surely been getting back into our routine. The trip was beyond anything we could’ve imagined, but more on that later.
Our second anniversary is right around the corner and has practically snuck up on us with all that we’ve had on our plate’s lately! Last year I mentioned that we wanted to keep our anniversaries simple with a nice date and a traditional gift. In keeping with that, and being just over a week away, I thought it was only appropriate to brainstorm some good 2 year gifts.
The traditional gift for the second anniversary is Cotton. And the primary warning I’ve been given (along with many funny stories) is to make sure that whatever you buy actually has some cotton in the make-up. A lot of fabrics you might think are cotton are a whole blend of other stuff, so pay attention!
- PJ’s: Perfect for a lazy Sunday morning of snuggles or breakfast in bed, I love the idea of a new PJ set for each other. His, a classic cotton set from Brooks Brothers; Hers, sweet little polka dot set from Kate Spade NY with an adorable bow at the nape of the neck.
- Robes: I love a good robe and this is the perfect excuse to add a new robe to the rotation. If you’ve ever felt pima cotton, you know why I’ve selected the first two options, that said I’m also loving the little lace detail on the alternate option for her. His, classic pima cotton robe by Daniel Buchler; Hers, classic pima cotton robe by Skin OR a lace trimmed cotton robe by Daniel Buchler.
- Sheets: You really can’t beat sleeping in a set of good cotton sheets. Most people won’t splurge for good sheets for themselves but from my time working in the linen shop as well as working with my clients on their own linens, it is something that I insist on for us, and you should too! Use this cotton anniversary to get a good set in your life, you really won’t regret it! Pictured: Dashiel by Matouk in Chambray, I think we need these; We have a set by Matouk that we love, and we also have these by Ralph Lauren and I love this percale set by Ralph too… percale is the stuff dream sheets are made of.
- Pillows: As an alternate to just buying ‘stuff,’ I love the idea of getting something that offers a little bit more sentiment. Though it was easier to find something for year one which is paper, I love these customizable pillows that you can put anything from your wedding venue coordinates to the coordinates of your first home together or where you met. You could also do a meaningful phrase or song lyric… the possibilities are endless. Here’s a link to the Etsy shop (Love You More Boutique) where I found the pillow pictured.
- Blanket: A blanket is the perfect snuggly gift. You can get something for the living room or bedroom, something cozy and stylish. If you are handy at all (many of you know I knit), you could get cotton fabric or yarn and attempt a little DIY for your gift. Nothing says I love you quite like something handmade. These chunky cable-knit cotton-blend blankets from Pottery Barn are cozy and chic for any space.
These are all ideas perfect for either spouse, or something you may opt to buy together for you both to enjoy. What do you guys think? I have my heart set on something specific for P, so I will share that on Instagram come our actual anniversary (if I can swing it), but I’m curious to see what he is thinking for me…Time will tell 🙂
Have you guys kept with traditional gifts in your marriages or do anything special to honor your time together that is your own tradition? I love classic traditions but there is something really special about setting your own tradition with your loved ones that makes it so much better.
Anyway, I’m hoping to get through some of our travel pictures over the weekend and see if I can start to get some posts together to share our adventures next week.
What have you all been up to since we were gone? Anything fun this weekend?? I’m going to be busily working on my gift for P as well as sifting through all the pictures! Have a great weekend!!