It’s February, and I’m noticing all things lovey dovey. Maybe it is because this is our first married Valentine’s Day… maybe I’m just happier than I’ve been or less cynical.. I’m not sure why, but whatever the reason, love is most definitely in the air over here.
Whatever it is that has me feeling the love has got me thinking. My valentines have been my good friends for years. I’ve always celebrated with the girls, or ignored the holiday altogether. Even when I was dating someone, we’ve never really celebrated it. This year I’ve been thinking, why? Why all the negativity and cynicism surrounding this day? Honestly, isn’t there enough bad in the world? Couldn’t we all use a little love?
So, for all of you anti-V-Day folks, here is a list of things you can celebrate on Valentine’s Day.
1. Celebrate yourself! You are amazing, and I shouldn’t have to tell you why. Take a minute to celebrate all the great things about you. Treat yourself to a little pampering; get your nails done, have a little spa day. Whatever it is, take a minute to appreciate the things that you do.
2. Celebrate your family. If you have little ones, whip up a special at-home dinner that feels fancier than your norm. Set the table with candles and flowers and don’t leave out the dessert! If you don’t have kids, celebrate with a siblings dinner, or by going to visit your parents. Take it upon yourself to fix up something for them as a sign of your appreciation and love for them.
3. Celebrate your friends. Let’s face it. We all have those friends that are there for us through it all, and we love them for it. So why not whip up some cocktails and host a night in with the girls. Have everyone bring their favorite chick flick and laugh and cry the night away with your favorite ladies.
4. Celebrate a hobby. I’m a knitter and I used to have a fantastic knitting group in Connecticut before we moved to New Jersey, and I haven’t found a new group yet, but our knitting group was the type of group that knows how to have a good time. Have some of your fellow hobby-sharers over and spend some time progressing on your projects. It’s a great time to focus on something you love with a good group of people, whether your hobby is knitting, photography, scrapbooking, etc., invite a group of friends over that enjoy the same thing to hang out and work on your skills.
5. Celebrate your fur baby. We love our puppy and it is so much fun to spoil him! Take a trip with your fur baby to the pet store and buy him/her some special treats, a new toy, etc., or treat him/her to an extra trip to the dog park or a long walk or play session.
At the end of the day, it’s all about the love. So celebrate the love in your life this Valentine’s. Don’t let it bog you down, have fun with it, call some friends and get your soiree planned!